Choosing the Best Revolver: Factors to Consider
The revolver is a classic firearm that has been around for hundreds of years. The modern revolver is popular for its reliability, versatility, and for how simple it is to use. They are a popular choice for sport, and a small revolver is also a great choice for concealed carry, as it is easy to stash away.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the pros and cons of selecting a lightweight revolver as your weapon of choice, as well as discuss which types of revolvers are the best for different applications, such as concealed carry, hunting, or for fun. We’ll also share some steps you can take to keep your revolver in tip top shape!
What is a Revolver?
A revolver is a repeating handgun that has a minimum of one barrel and utilizes a revolving cylinder that has multiple chambers in order to fire a projectile. Most revolvers can hold up to six cartridges before they must be reloaded, which has gained them the nickname of “six shooters.”
Revolvers are popular for usage as back-up or off-duty handguns among law enforcement officials and security guards. They are also commonly used for self-defense, sport, and hunting.
Revolvers Advantages and Disadvantages Comparing to Other Guns
Compact and lightweight revolvers have many pros and cons associated with their usage, especially when compared to other similar weapons. Read on to learn the pros and cons of choosing a revolver!
Its efficient design means that all you have to do to operate a revolver is pull the trigger. This is simple and makes operating the weapon easy! Most modern revolvers are also known for their durability and reliability. Revolvers tend not to have mechanical failures.
Revolvers have a slow reload time and must be reloaded after about six shots. They are also known to fire accidentally when dropped, so it’s important to handle them carefully. They are also not known for their ability to shoot accurately. Shooting accurate shots with a revolver requires some degree of skill.
Best Concealed Carry Revolver
Revolvers are good guns, and they are often a top choice when it comes to concealed carry and self-defense. They are a great choice due to how reliable they are and how easy they are to use. But what is the best concealed carry revolver? Below, find a few of our favorite revolvers for concealed carry revolvers, plus some discussion of why they make a great selection.
The Ruger LCR is a lightweight and very affordable option for a concealed carry revolver that is easy to shoot. These characteristics make it an ideal choice for a concealed carry gun.
The J-Frame is the smallest size of revolver that S&W produces, making it an ideal choice for concealed carry. It’s a tiny gun in a powerful cartridge.
Best Revolvers for Hunting
Revolvers can sometimes be used as a backup gun during a hunting trip. Read on to learn about some great options if you want to bring a hunting revolver on your next hunting trip!
Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull
This hefty and reliable revolver can handle hot ammunition and is a great back-up when you are after large game. It makes an excellent hunting revolver.
Magnum Research BFR
This big revolver is mainly used for the purpose of hunting. It comes in ten different calibers and is ideal for long-range shots. They are also extremely durable and accurate, as well as being easy to scope.
Best Revolvers for Fun
If you’re looking for a gun that’s just intended for use on the shooting range, we’ve got some great options for you! Read on to learn more about these revolvers, which are best used for fun at the range.
Ruger Single Six/Wrangler
The Ruger Single Six/Wrangler is popular for recreational shooting as well as small-game hunting. It is quite versatile as a weapon and very affordable. It comes in both single- and double-action.
The Colt Python revolver is best known for being a high quality weapon with superior craftsmanship. It’s got a smooth trigger pull and is very accurate and reliable. It’s a popular choice for a police revolver, as well as a top choice among competitive shooters and even collectors.
This unique design has a barrel aligned with the bottom chamber of the cylinder instead of the top chamber. This design minimizes recoil and makes it easy to shoot with great accuracy. It’s a great choice for self-defense or recreational shooting.
What Accessories Do You Need When Buying a Revolver?
When purchasing a revolver, there are some accessories you should consider obtaining to get the most from your new revolver. Read on for some of the best revolver accessories that a first-time buyer should have! Many of these are available at your standard gun store.
Gun Cleaning Kit
To keep your revolver in working order, it’s important to have a gun cleaning kit on hand. For best results, you can purchase a cleaning kit for the exact caliber of your gun.
A gun case protects your revolver from damage and makes sure that your optic stays zeroed. Opt for a case with a heavy-duty exterior and high-density foam.
Ear and Eye Protection
Without the proper protection, you can cause permanent damage to your ears or eyes. Electronic earmuffs are a good choice for ear protection. It’s also important to protect your eyes with protective glasses while shooting, as it will also help you see better and protect your eyes from powder or dust.
In case of injury, it’s always a good idea to have a fully stocked medical kit. A good kit should include bandages, antiseptic ointment, medical tape, rubber gloves, chest seal, Quick Clot pad and gauze, and a tourniquet. Be sure to replenish your kit regularly and ensure that nothing is expired.
A good range bag is an easy way to carry all of your gear. Pick something durable and light weight that can hold everything you need to keep on hand for shooting!
You may also want to invest in:
- Speed loaders: Speed loaders make it easier to reload your revolver.
- Moon clips: If your revolver has rimless ammunition, moon clips can help hold your ammo in the correct arrangement.
- Revolver sights: If you want to upgrade your adjustable sights or your sights have been damaged, you may want to invest in a new one.
- Handgun grips: These help improve the way that a revolver feels in your hand when you hold it.
Maintenance & Care Tips to Make Sure Your Revolver Stays in Top Condition
It’s important that you clean and care for your revolver to keep it in top working condition! It’s also equally important that you know the correct way to maintain your revolver and that you perform maintenance regularly. Read on for some tips on how to care for your revolver!
- First, make sure the gun is unloaded. In fact, it’s a good practice that you don’t keep any ammunition nearby while cleaning a firearm.
- Then, lay the gun and all of your cleaning supplies on your workspace with a clean, lint-free blanket or cloth. Make sure your hands are clean so that you don’t pass any additional dirt to your revolver.
- Dip a bore brush of the correct size into your cleaning solvent. It’s best to use a bronze bristle brush for this purpose, as steel can cause the barrel to wear out.
- Slide the brush into the barrel and twist it with the gun. Be sure to follow the natural grooves of the gun, and don’t apply anything more than light pressure.
- Now, remove the brush and attach a clean and lubricated (in cleaning solvent) patch to the patch tip. Gently use the patch to clean the inside of the gun, and repeat if the patch comes out very dirty.
- Lightly clean the outside of the revolver, taking care to clean the outside of the cylinders, the trigger, the muzzle, and the rear cylinder. Pull out the extractor rod and clean that, too.
- Using a boar brush and solvent, clean up and down each cylinder. Take your time and ensure you are cleaning all the way through.
- Use cleaning patches with solvent and then some dry patches to clean the cylinders, just as you did with the barrel.
- On a clean cloth, apply a small amount of gun oil and wipe down all of your metal surfaces.
- Using a clean rag, wipe away any extra oil.
What is the best revolver for a beginner to own?
A Ruger Wrangler is a great choice for a beginner. It’s priced well, it’s compact (making it easy to carry concealed), and it’s easy to shoot, with hardly any recoil.
What are the best concealed carry revolvers?
Two great options for concealed carry are the Ruger LCR and the S&W J-Frame.
What kind of revolver do Navy Seals use?
Navy Seals often use a Sig P226 revolver over all the other revolvers. This weapon is a favorite because of how reliable it is, and also for its stopping power.
What caliber revolver is best?
A popular revolver caliber is 22 LR. It is popular because it’s inexpensive and has very little recoil.